Pages

Sunday, January 20, 2013

Kids Activities: Homemade Soap for Valentine or St. Patrick


When I saw this post about making soap cloud, I knew I had to try it with my kids.  This project HAS to be done with IVORY soap.  Otherwise, one can end up on Pinstrosity :)  I've added a few minor changes to the original tutorial.  Here are my steps (and remember only Ivory soap works):

cut one bar of Ivory soap into four pieces and place them in a glass bowl

microwave for 1 minute to get this soap cloud in a bowl

add a few drops of food coloring and mix with a spoon

transfer the soap goo to a cutting board covered with the wax paper;
cut into shapes using small cookie cutters
As you can see above, Cordell decided to use green food coloring and star shaped cookie cutters (this would be perfect for St. Patric's Day).  Nina decided to go with red food coloring and heart shaped cookie cutters.  I used gel food coloring because that's what I had at home.  I think regular liquid food coloring drops would do a better job.  Our pink soap patty ended up looking like a very realistic raw meat hamburger patty (note to myself: repeat this at Halloween making raw meat looking soaps).


let dry for 1-2 days

optional: dust with body powder for added non-stickiness;
also, with a toothpick you can initial soap shapes or even "carve" your own design
p.s.
As you can see from pictures above our soap did not turn out evenly colored.  To achieve more smooth even texture I recommend using food processor to blend soap cloud and food coloring together.

p.p.s
Each bar of Ivory soap made about 4 small soaps (of course, it all depends on the size of cookie cutters you are using). 

7 comments:

  1. Fun - I remember doing something similar to this in art class when I was younger.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That's so neat! Hope nobody eats those soap cookies lol! It's me Giddyupgirlz I'm to lazy to log in...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh! and I love all the wreaths and wrappings!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lucky children having such a creative mum to do fun projects with. The food colouring reminds me of the batches of homemade play dough I used to make with my mum - we only had red or green so our salt dough was always either pink, minty or plain!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I always wanted to try making soap. Never knew you could do it with . . soap.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...