Pages

Wednesday, December 19, 2012

DIY: Vintage Colander Holiday Centerpiece With Lights

vintage colander with star design, juniper branches and light

 You can find similar colander at many thrift shops (or check your grandma's kitchen).  I particularly love the ones with star designs on them.  My original intent was to use candles and cover them up with the colander, but was afraid that was not safe.  I tried electric tea lights (photo below) but the light was not powerful enough to create the desired effect. 

with electric tea lights

So I used a bare bulb light pendant "lamp" (similar can be purchased on Etsy) and loved how it ended up projecting stars on the wall. 


My other vintage find from last week is this wire basket.  I initially thought it was a fishing basket but Mr. Wonderul thinks it's a frying basket.  I cleaned it up really good and used it to display some old ornaments (also thrifted of course).

vintage frying basket used to display Christmas ornaments
 

10 comments:

  1. wow, great idea ♥



    http://mastylee.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. How cute. It's like a Moroccan lantern.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a great idea! I'm going to try it all myself this weekend))

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a lovely idea.
    Merry Christmas and always the best for you and your family, Maya.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm crazy about your colander light piece... wow!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes all the photos are in Spain, Maya.
    Happy 2013 to you and your loved ones
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  7. Wow, that's pretty clever! I am SOOO going to do that!
    thanks for sharing ideas, allow me to add this to my Christmas table decorations pinterest board. Cheers!

    ReplyDelete
  8. It is really a great idea..Looks beautiful..
    flat colander

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...