Pages

Thursday, September 27, 2012

My Georgia: Mariam's World

Meet Mariam Saakashvili and her creations.  Mariam graduated from Tbilisi Academy of Art in 1996 with the degree in Fashion Design.  Mariam has a blog Lokokina and also sells her illustrations on Etsy.  Please check out her Etsy shop and contact her with any questions about her work and/or shipping information.  She also has photos of her work displayed on Flickr.  Please check that out as well, you won't be disappointed.  The whimsical illustrations below are watercolor on paper.


However, my favorite works by Mariam Saakashvili are her paper dolls made using vintage candy wrappers from her personal collection (as a child, Mariam collected candy wrappers).  Each doll is lovingly given a name and has her own personality.  It was painfully difficult to chose images from her collection for this blog post.  Each paper doll is beautiful and unique.  It's a shame that talented artists like Mariam are not able to monetize their talent in the parts of the world like Georgia...  If anybody buys her work, that would be quite noble thing to do.  Thank you!








As I mentioned earlier. Mariam Saakashvili created quite an impressive collection of images and I just had to choose a few for my blog (organized by color by me).   I love Mariam's use of color, but my absolute favorite doll is dressed in black, gold and silver:

In the Mountains of Spain

I hope you like Mariam Saakashvili's work as much as I do.
All images posted with the artist's permission and are from her Flickr gallery. 

11 comments:

  1. I'm in complete agreement with you about Mariam's designs. She's such a talent!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Really brilliant, Maya.
    Have a lovely weekend.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. I absolutely adore these paper designs. So evocative of the folk cultures they are meant to represent.

    By the way, I saw your ice cube work on Odyssey's blog. Beautiful!

    www.thefoolishaesthete.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh so lovely! The paper designs remind me of paper dolls. Remember those? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes, I do (I guess I should have called these paper doll collage). We had paper dolls in Georgia too. Nina has some and she loves dressing them up in paper clothes :)

      Delete
  5. Beautiful! Thanks for the link. Cheers, Lisbeth in Sweden.

    ReplyDelete
  6. These are just the most amazing works of art. Loved them.
    Daphne.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Aren't they wonderful? Almost Tudor or Mediaeval in design! I'm attracted to the green dresses! x

    ReplyDelete
  8. Absolutely gorgeous and I can see wearing that style on the top right hand side, what an original idea, will tell my daughter about these...

    ReplyDelete
  9. Wow. Wow. I wish I could wear all of these IRL!

    ReplyDelete
  10. So pretty. A great mix of traditional dress and contemporary art.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...