Pages

Friday, July 13, 2012

Different Concept. Similar Output...



I had to chuckle when I saw Shelter Serra's cast resin Fake Rolex in August 2012 issue of ELLE (p.115).  My first thought was "That's an easy DIY" immediately followed by "Hey! I've DIYed similar piece before".  My petrified time watch (see the post here) actually started as a frozen time piece (see here).  I kept painting over the face of the watch until reaching this look in 2010: 

white jelly watch from Ebay painted over with acrylics

My inspiration actually was Naughty Secretary's DIY of Tom Binns Non-Watches from 2008.  The idea behind my piece being kind of the opposite of memento mori.  As if saying stop worrying and enjoy the moment.  Fluidity and elusiveness of time vs. cast stone appearance (hence, petrified time).

Here are several examples of Shelter Serra's amazing works:

Fake Rolex available for $40 at shopgreyarea.com

Homemade Birkin Bag $2500 at shopgreyarea.com

New Shirt via

One Dozen Fresh Roses via


EDITED 7/20/2012
Thanks to the tips from Stephanie of Odyssey Home blog, I'm now discovering Natalia Brilli's creations for myself.  Natalia Brilli is a Belgian artist who works in Paris.  Her signature pieces are accessories encased with the finest leathers.  Interesting!

Natalia Brilli's Nolex watches via


Edit of September 4, 2013:  Just saw Maison Martin Margiela's Cuff with Medallion in Gold...
Maison Martin Margiela, via

6 comments:

  1. What a great concept and DIY! We don't need watches anymore,to tell time at least- got a smart phone that does all that, but arm candy? Brilliant re-use.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Definitely a cool DIY. I love this idea!

    http://www.glamkittenslitterbox.com/
    Twitter: @GlamKitten88

    ReplyDelete
  3. Very very cool, both of you. You are part of a talented bunch of women bloggers, Maya!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the colored fake watches, they are so funny !
    http://selenite.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. You know what this reminds me of? Natalia Brilli's leather wrapped watches. :)
    Pertaining to you lighting question:
    I'm currently using Reveal general purpose incandescent bulbs in indoor metal spot lamps/indirect lighting. Looking to buy better lighting option this week..

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...