Pages

Monday, March 12, 2012

Kids Activities: Spring Break Crafts

crayons are first hot-glued to cardboard; then melted with hairdryer
My kids are on their Spring Break this week and that means we'll be making lots of crafts to keep us all sane.  I've been wanting to try melting crayons for a long time now.  Can't remember where I first saw this, maybe on Pinterest.  First, I hot-glued crayons to a piece of cardboard (about 10"x25").  I recommend Cra-Z-Art Crayons with 24 ea. smooth bright colors (we decided not to use black, white and grays).  Next, I set the cardboard with crayons vertically leaning on the wall.  Don't forget to place bunch of newspaper underneath so that you won't mess up your driveway (this is definitely an outside project).  I set the hairdryer on Hot and Low setting and let the kids do all the melting.  They both really enjoyed watching melting wax drip and the beautiful rainbow it made.  Of course, as usual be careful with hot wax.  My children are eight and six and they did well and nobody got hurt. 

beautiful rainbow with melted crayons
We also made our own homemade volcano.  Ideally, you need to build a mountain shape (or cone shape) around the plastic bottle with play-dough or paper mache, but we just set our bottle inside the plastic base (some toy volcano shape we happened to have).   

Here are the instructions for homemade volcano from Weather Wiz Kids:
Fill the bottle most of the way full with warm water and a bit of red food color.
Add 6 drops of detergent to the bottle contents.
Add 2 tablespoons of baking soda to the contents.
Slowly pour vinegar into the bottle.

homemade volcano
I still have a huge roll of black Con-tact paper left over from several DIY projects.  We decided to paint a small piece with green acrylic paint to make our own St. Patrick's window clings.  After paint dried, we cut out clover shapes, peeled the backing off and attached shapes to our window. 


homemade window clings from Con-tact paper
a to zebra

4 comments:

  1. I love that crayon art. Looks like something that belongs to a fancy art studio exhibition.
    What a great idea.
    Daphne.

    ReplyDelete
  2. sounds like you guys are having a fun spring break.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I also spent this year's spring break with my children and as I don't like planning long trips we finally ended up discovering some new spots in our native Toronto. What my kids loved most of all was the visit of the Toronto Zoo where they took part in the contest to choose the name for the new bear. A great experience that I can recommend to all families.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Children really enjoy getting dirty with colors! Color is one of their best friends.
    Online Toy Shop

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...