Pages

Tuesday, March 13, 2012

My Georgia: Georgia Blue (Veronica Umbrosa)


Georgia Blue from my garden

Happy Spring!  Warm weather is finally here.  The very first flower blooming in our garden every year is Georgia Blue. Our one year old puppy is luckily staying away from this perennial flower (he destroyed just about everything else in our garden).  Here is what Plant Delights says about Georgia Blue (veronica umbrosa):

Georgia Blue was first discovered in 1979 in the Republic of Georgia and named by England's Roy Lancaster. It was misidentified as Veronica peduncularis, due to an incorrectly identified Kew Gardens herbarium sheet. So, now you know the rest of the story. Veronica umbrosa 'Georgia Blue' features very small, dark green, rounded foliage (glossy purple in winter) that lays flat on the ground, making a nice mat...not weedy. In late winter and early spring, February through April, the foliage is nearly hidden by an abundance of medium-blue flowers. Very special for the spring garden...great planted with daffodils. 

Being from the country of Georgia myself, I am partial to this flower.  Even our children know it's very special to me and they try not to step on it.  I'm pretty sure this is a wild flower in Georgia.   Funny, I accidentally discovered Georgia Blue for myself several years ago (at either Home Depot or Lowe's) and never seen it sold anywhere else since then (it is available online though). 

And of course, I could not use nothing other than name "Georgia Blue" for my Etsy boutique :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...