Pages

Tuesday, March 6, 2012

DIY: Gold Bar Clutch Out of Tin Pencil Case


Vintage Chanel Gold Bar Clutch, Purse Blog
Some of you might think this clutch is a bit tacky, but remember what Diana Vreeland said:

"A little bad taste is like a nice splash of paprika.  We all need a splash of bad taste - it's hearty it's healthy, it's physical.  I think we could use more of it.  NO taste is what I'm against" 

And also she said this:

"Too much good taste can be boring"

So go ahead and be tacky if you feel like being tacky.  It's OK.  Fashion is about having fun, isn't it?!

What I used:
tin pencil case from Hobby Lobby
paint stripper - Walmart
rubber gloves
Krylon spray paint in metallic gold
letter and number dimensional stickers- Michael's
gold leaf sheets, gold leaf adhesive, and gold leaf sealer - Michael's  - OPTIONAL

I used paint stripper from Walmart to strip paint from my tin case
After stripping paint I spray-painted tin case with Krylon metallic gold.  I was not patient with my spray paint and messed it up.  See my fingerprints below?

Next, I attached stickers spelling "pure gold 999.65" and some five digit number on top (actually, it's my Dad's birth date). 
And finally, I applied gold leaf sheets according to the package directions only to the top and bottom of the clutch (sorry, forgot to take photos of this last step).  I left the sides with no gold leafing, but just spray painted in gold.  Applying gold leaf is optional.  One could just spray paint and stop there.  However, I did like how shiny and metal-like gold leafing turned out. 



My nails, by the way, are DIY as well.  Essie's Midnight Cami and Sally Hansen's Guilty Pleasure.  First, I applied dark blue coat.  Then, with a cotton Q-tip I dabbed gold dots randomly creating sort of ombre or sort of gold leafing effect.  Have fun!
p.s.
Where shall Soccer Mom wear this clutch?  Grocery shopping or running some errands?

18 comments:

  1. how creative and clever! this came out great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely brilliant, ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh I want one.
    And you can make it as big as you want, yeahhhhhhhh
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. Awesome idea! And also super cute that you used your dad's birthday aww :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow, you are golden! This purse looks a complete twin to the other one!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Now THAT is a truly inspired bit of DIY. I am really tempted to give this a go.

    ReplyDelete
  6. it looks so expensive! Wonderful I want to make one too :D

    ReplyDelete
  7. this is fabulous - I love it! you are so creative Maya!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love this project. So amazing and adorable. How on earth do you come up with these ideas is besides me.

    Thank you for the nice comment on my door. That door actually houses my husband's shoes and guest coats! It is right across from the entry way though so the first thing people see when they enter the house. I designed it on paper and had it custom made in Mexico (you know we are right on the border) at a stupidly low cost!
    Daphne.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cool idea!

    www.northernstyle.blog.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. If Martha Stewart and Betsy Johnson had a kid, she would maybe almost have your insane DIY skills. Seeing someone at the grocery or post office with a clutch like this would make my day.

    ReplyDelete
  11. amazing DIY, really creative :) totally agree that a little bit of tacky is what we all need sometimes xx.
    check out the international giveaway on my blog

    ReplyDelete
  12. Love it. And it's not at all tacky. I personally have a lot of paprika in my life.

    ReplyDelete
  13. lookl amazing!!! congratss from mexico!!!! shannthall.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have just installed iStripper, so I can have the sexiest virtual strippers on my desktop.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Using BullionVault you can buy physical gold & silver bars at current spot prices.

    Open your free account now and get 4 grams of free silver as a joining bonus.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...