Pages

Monday, December 26, 2011

Kids Activities: Yarn Ornaments

homemade yarn candy cane
Merry Christmas to you!  Here are some yarn crafts I did with my children who are eight and six.  I did have to help them a lot especially with hot glue.

To make three candy canes you'll need:
red and white thick yarn (LionBrand from Walmart for under $3 each roll)
one wire hanger (will make 3-4 candy canes)
tin snips
hot glue



With tin snips cut the wire in 3-4 straight pieces about 6-7" long.  Bend one end of each piece to resemble a candy cane.  Then tie red a white yarn together and hot glue to the straight end of the wire.  Twist your yarn (red and white together) around the wire, using small amounts of hot glue.  Once finished, just tie another knot and hot glue to secure.  As I said above, I had to do hot gluing for my kids.  With the younger kids you could just use pipe cleaners as shown here. 

homemade yarn and Styrofoam ball ornament
For the yarn ball ornament (above) we used Styrofoam ball, red and white yarn, and hot glue.  

 Tie red and white yarn together and hot glue the knot to the center of the Styrofoam ball.  Twisting the yarn glue it to the ball in circles as shown below. 

With a separate piece of yarn (about 6" long) make a loop for hanger and hot glue it to the ball.  Then finish up the rest of the ornament.  For more kid friendly version, maybe try Tacky Glue instead of hot glue.



Next craft is a yarn ball without any Styrofoam (see the photo below).
red yarn ball homemade ornament
For this craft we used red yarn and twine (to make two separate balls).  Instead of yarn or twine, I think one could use cord, string or even jute.  For the excellent tutorial, go to this website.



homemade twine ball, DIY moss ball


3 comments:

  1. For this ability we acclimated red yarn and braid. Instead of yarn or twine, I anticipate one could use cord, cord or even jute. For the accomplished tutorial, go to this website.

    kingston transfers

    ReplyDelete
  2. The red and white ones are so cute...you just made me want to try this and I am not a craft person...so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello! I just found your blog and I think it's AMAZING! The pics are great and I can see that You really like what you do here! I love people with great ideas, like you!
    Your blog is inspiring! I will follow you!
    Xoxo
    Merry Christmas!

    http://nikandpic.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...