Pages

Tuesday, August 23, 2011

My Georgia: Blackberry Sauce


roasted chicken, red potatoes with dill, blackberry sauce and green beans

Georgian blackberry sauce is a great alternative to... ketchup.  Goes really well with roast chicken.

Ingredients:
1 1/2 cup ripe blackberries
1 small garlic clove, peeled and chopped
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 small hot red or green pepper, minced
1/4 cup minced mixed fresh dill and cilantro
1 or 2 tsp lemon juice

Directions (from Darra Goldstein's The Georgian Feast):

Force the blackberries through a fine sieve or food mill into a bowl.  With a mortar and pestle (I use my small food processor), pound the garlic, salt, and hot pepper into a paste and add to the sieved blackberries.  Stir in the minced herbs and lemon juice.  Serve at room temperature.

garlic and herbs paste
Georgian blackberry sauce


4 comments:

  1. Ohh, that sounds so good! I'm definitely going to try it!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm totally gonna try it this week - I love Georgian sauces, especially tkemali (have no idea how to write it in English)).
    Thanks for a great recepe)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...