Pages

Monday, July 25, 2011

My Georgia Monday: Paintings by Gia Loria and Feltworks by Nato Tschikvadze

Untitled, Gia Loria
Untitled, Gia Loria
A Stranger, Gia Loria

The Annunciation, Gia Loria

The Return of the Prodigal Son, Gia Loria

Originally, I wanted to post another eggplant recipe of mine today.  But eggplant caviar will just have to wait, because something great happened last week (well, great to me at least).  I finally got in touch with my art tutors from Georgia, husband and wife Gia Loria and Nato Tschikvadze
When I was little I attended an Art School in my hometown of Rustavi, Georgia.  That's where I met Nato.  She was my art teacher there (my favorite one!).  Years later, I met her husband, Gia Loria, who graciously agreed to give me private art lessons in his Tbilisi studio (this was in early 90's).  Then, in 1994 I immigrated to the U.S. and lost contact with this lovely family.  So nice to have found this talented family once again...




Nato has beautiful paintings of her own, but I am unable to find any photos of those.  She now works with felt.





And one more photo...  This is a watercolor by Gia hanging in my house.
New Argonauts, Gia Loria, 2000


15 comments:

  1. Beautiful artwork.
    Daphne.
    http://fashiondivamommy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  2. I just love the Prodigal Son painting...it is wonderful..thanks for sharing their work...

    ReplyDelete
  3. this is amazing that you found these trully wonderful people again. Gia was my teacher in J.Nikoladze and Academy and still is one of my best friends. its already 3 years I have immigrated in New Zealand and am studying in Auckland university. in my art project i'm introducing few georgian artists one of which is G.Loria, and when I googled his name I was surprisingly pleased to see this blog.

    Natos nakhatebis nakhva tu gsurt zogi namushevari misi shvilis-mariamis facebook-shia.

    gmadlob!

    Bacho Gogolashvili

    ReplyDelete
  4. Didi madloba Bacho! Mariam's daumegobrdebi FBze da iqneb vnaxo Natos naxatebi. maxsovs dzalian magari iyo. Mixaria rom chemi blogi amovida Gia's search-shi...
    maya

    ReplyDelete
  5. Prodigal Son painting is awesome. All the paintings are also good.

    ReplyDelete
  6. such soft effects in those paintings. the slide show is pure beauty, music and all!
    the little felt objects by nato are charming.
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  7. Absolutely beautiful. I especially love that second one!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wow, what gorgeous pieces! The first set of them put me in mind of Munch or Chagall. I love the felt pieces too! Thank you so much for sharing this, and how special that you were able to learn from such talented artists.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Pretty art. The felt eggs are so cute!

    ReplyDelete
  10. This must have been so wonderful for all of you to meet after such a long time. They both look like great artists - I'm in love with the red haired woman picture.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wow! very powerful paintings! I love art that stirs emotion. Loving the felt pieces esp. the eggs. So glad you reconnected with them!
    PS: I bought an eggplant yesterday so I will have to scroll through your recipes for this :) The kids don't like how I usually make it so I will have to try something new-

    ReplyDelete
  12. What a great story, did not know you were an artist, no wonder you can make such incredible creations with a flue gun and a marker! Love the top painting, beautifully and eerily adrift at sea and the wonderful felt dolls. Love this all!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Those painting are beautiful, and I'm crazy over the felted eggs!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wonderful Painting...I like those bird paintings...... thanks for sharing beautiful post.....

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...