Pages

Wednesday, July 6, 2011

DIY: straw placemat clutch with sequin

Inspiration: Kate Spade Lawn Party Raine Bag $390
What I used:
one black straw placemat (Walmart $2.00)
golden and black sequin trims (the length will depend on the size of your clutch/bag or whatever you're embellishing) - I bought mine at JoAnns
Fabri-Tac glue (Walmart, any craft store)
1-2 sheets of black craft felt
purse zipper in desired lenghth
gold acrylic paint - optional

I am purposely not writing up my own step-by-step tutorial for this since I used this wonderful tutorial from Crafter.org.  The link has great photos too.  The only thing was... I can't sew...  so, I partly hand-stitched partly glued (Fabri-Tac)...  Anyway, was quite messy inside, but outside of the clutch is OK.  What do you think?  Also, I am not writing up a tutorial, because there are so many wonderful ones online.  If you Google "placemat clutch DIY" you'll find many versions of this.
Also, please visit beautiful Anne of Wobisobi blog who had made various placemat clutches.

started gluing sequin trim to the placemat

secured the ends by hand-stitching them down


hand-stitched black felt to the purse zipper

I glued the black piece with a zipper to the clutch (not recommended, but had no choice since I can't sew)
Also, in the picture above you see how I painted the inside in gold (optional).




As I was working on this project I thought a black straw hat would look cute with sequin trim on it.  Just a thought.

Lorri's Raffia Hat $18
I know this post doesn't make much sense (it's past my bedtime).  Hope to make it up to you in the future.


16 comments:

  1. You are the best, Maya.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  2. OH MY GOSH!! That is fantastic.!!!!!LOVE it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Maya! You are so inspiring. I just showed this to my husband and he smiled and said 'good for her.' The funny thing is - one of my few skills in life is I CAN sew (I can't, on the other hand, iron - which my sister can, but she can't sew - go figure). I LOVE the bag. How long did it take?

    Almost forgot why I came here... your comment. Thank you! You should do a DIY: you could do one with indelible marker, and write it in like a hand drawn scripty style. I wasn't wild about it being grey: I'd love to see it on a white shirt, say with neon pink and orange writing!

    Will write you an email soon. Thinking of you - funny that you stopped by. Hope you're having a great summer so far. xox

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your no-sew version.

    Feel free to use the poppy photos.

    ReplyDelete
  5. SUCH a brilliantly executed transformation from mat to clutch. I'm inspired! Thank you for sharing this great idea.

    ReplyDelete
  6. i'm always amazed by your DIY projects! this is brilliant :) xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love anything with sequins and straw and this is fantastic, perfect for summer!

    ReplyDelete
  8. You are so creative ! It seems very difficult to do that !
    http://selenite.weebly.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your version better than the original!

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea once again. I love its look.
    Daphne.
    http://fashiondivamommy.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  11. I love this idea - I love how yours came out.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I love this diy clutch! I always love seeing what you will copy next.

    ReplyDelete
  13. this is brilliant!! i love it!!
    shaunna X
    www.flouncesandslashes.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...