Pages

Sunday, July 3, 2011

Banana Fritters and Funnel Cake Hybrid Recipe

As I have mentioned before, my precious nephews are visiting from New Jersey.  They are staying with my folks, but luckily we get to see them every day during their visit in Tennessee.  Plus I try to have each one (they are triplets!) to spend the night with us, but one at a time.  So I've been fixing lots of desserts lately for kids.  Brownies, rice crispy treats and so on.  The other day I tried banana fritters using this recipe from About.com.


It was a nice alternative to good old banana bread, but ... honestly, it was still lacking something.  I even tried topping it with vanilla ice-cream and fresh blackberries from my parents' garden.


Still was not so great, just OK (maybe I'm so picky because I don't like to cook, and when I do, it better be worth the trouble).  I thought if it were crunchy it might taste better...  hmmm crunchy like funnel cake.

So next time I got my hands on ripe bananas I thought I'd improvise and create a banana fritters and funnel cake hybrid.   Found this recipe for funnel cake on Allrecipes.com.  And then cooked this:


I went to all this trouble to please the kids.  You'd think who would not like funnel cake, especially banana fritter funnel cake...  But sadly neither my children, nor my nephews liked the cake, but Hubby and I THOROUGHLY enjoyed it.
So that's the story behind this not-so-healthy but delicious hybrid.
Here is the recipe...  (basically, I just slightly changed the banana fritters batter):

8 cups vegetable oil for frying
3 ripe bananas
2 eggs
1 tsp vanilla
1 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp nutmeg
1 cup sugar
3 cups all-purpose flour
1 Tbs baking powder
milk - I just kept adding until batter became thin...  maybe 2 cups?
confectioners' sugar for topping

Mash bananas and then mix all the ingredients together in a large bowl (except oil and confectioners' sugar).  In a deep-fryer, or heavy skillet, heat oil to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C).
While covering the funnel hole with one hand, pour in 1 cup of batter. Start from the center in a swirling motion to make a 6 or 7 inch round. Fry on both sides until golden brown. Remove and drain on paper towels. Sprinkle with confectioners' sugar and serve warm. 
Please let me know if you try this for your kids this summer.  Have a fun 4th of July weekend! 

Linked here: 



3 comments:

  1. I've had a bit of an antipathy to bananas since eating too many of them when I was tiny! However, this recipe might just tempt me back to the banana appreciation society...

    ReplyDelete
  2. The banana fritters look amazing - that's one of my fave desserts. How fantastic to have triplets in the house!

    ReplyDelete
  3. YUM...why did i have to see this?! haha. i went to spinning class this a.m. and will be perpetually hungry all day! this looks delectable.
    happy 4th, maya! xoxo

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...