Pages

Sunday, June 26, 2011

My Georgia Monday: Georgian Wine

 Georgian grapes (Saperavi) in my parents' backyard in Hendersonville, Tn, U.S.A.

About 5-6 years ago my parents immigrated to the U.S. from the country of Georgia.  Guess what they smuggled brought in their suitcase?  Grapevine rootstocks!  Yes, they brought grapevine rootstocks, each carefully wrapped in soft, moist piece of cloth and tightly packed in a suitcase.  The suitcase got delayed on the way, and we had given it up for lost, thinking our devious plan was discovered by the U.S. customs, but no...  it was safely delivered by the airport authorities to my folks' new home in Hendersonville, Tn.  Talk about forbidden fruit.  By the way, several years later "that" fruit yielded sweetest tasting red wine.  Could this possibly be the first ever Georgian wine actually made in the U.S.from native rootstocks?  I would love to know.

According to Dr. McGovern's (University of Pennsylvania Museum) research in 2006, origin of wine was narrowed to a region in now- days Georgia.  Records include ceramic jars (with traces of tartaric acid) from Neolithic sites in Shulaveri, now-days Georgia from about 8000 BC. 
Without farther boring you with more facts, I would like to ask you watch these two You-Tube videos (they are short and enjoyable).



 

my son, continuing the ancient tradition, in Hendersonville, Tn (2010)

My own fondest childhood memories are visiting my Grandparents in their village in Imereti, Georgia and  helping them stomp grapes in satsnaxeli with my bare feet.  They'd even let me taste machari  - which is grape juice before it turns into wine.

9 comments:

  1. Lovely story! So good the grapevines survived. Your Georgia posts are very interesting always.
    I've been meaning to pass on to you this address, this is a mexican blogger with a bilingual blog, she's so artsy as you are and she blogs about makeup and nailcolor and crafts. Very fun! http://wickedrenaissancegirl.blogspot.com/
    Today I posted about some vintage earrings that I recently bought. You have inspired me to go out and look for treasures everywhere. Hugs from Mexico :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow -- 8000 BC!! That is amazing. Great story. And thanks for visiting!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Such a wonderful story, videos and photos, Maya.
    Thank you so much for sharing part of your roots.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love the whole story of smuggling in 'forbidden fruit'. But best of all is the detail of you pressing grapes in bare feet. What a perfect memory to recall.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Incredible, 8000BC. Watching the video in fact it seems like all of civilisations' best things came from Georgia. I really would love to visit there some day, you have really made me want to go. Love all the stories about your family, what fantastic people your parents are bringing grape vines in their luggage. Love reading this post Maya! (and seeing pic of your son)

    ReplyDelete
  6. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Hi Maya,

    Really enjoyed the post. Thanks for sharing x

    Nina

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...