Pages

Saturday, April 9, 2011

Tbilisi massacre of April 9, 1989

I wanted to write an eloquent post about the events of April 9th, 1989.  But I just can't.  Please watch the video, it's only 7 minutes.  I lived in Georgia at that time and could have easily been present at the demonstration.  The total number of deaths was 20 (most killed immediately, some died in the hospital).  These were mostly women...  It  was later explained to us that women are more vulnerable to the chemical gas used by the Soviet Special Forces.
Sorry, the title of this video should read April 9, 1989 (not 1980).


Here is from Wikipedia:
One of the victims of the attack was a 16-year-old girl who tried to get away from the advancing soldiers, but was chased down and beaten to death near the steps of the government building, receiving blows to the head and chest. She was dragged out of the area by her mother who was also attacked and wounded. This particularly violent attack was recorded on video from the balcony a building located on the other side of the avenue.

9 comments:

  1. Ah, this is horrible.

    http://fashiondivamommy.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. So sad. And far too common even now (governments beating up citizens.)

    ReplyDelete
  3. My heart is with you dear. No words can express the pain and horror. Hugs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This is so terrible. I can't believe this happened. It's awful.

    Claire
    http://spinning-threads.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. horrible. it makes one shudder to think things like this go on! thank god you were not present when this happened. *hugs*

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for sharing. It's so scary that something this horrific could happen. Especially when you were so close by.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh Maya.

    Watched this in tears. Like Stephanie and everyone else said.. well, what more can I say. Terrible, horrific, and there's for once I can't find the words. Thank God you and your family are safe, and rest in peace the souls who were not.

    I will send this to my family and friends.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know I can't watch this, as I am far too pregnant. Thank you for sharing it, though, as history absolutely must be remembered.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is so horrific, thanks for posting this as its not an event that was widely publicised all over the world. I'm so happy you were not there, but my heart goes out to those families who were involved. I never travelled there but was close in eastern Turkey and could see over, a beautiful landscape and horsemen dressed traditionally.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...