Pages

Wednesday, March 16, 2011

DIY: Easter wreath


what i used to make this Easter wreath (not too bad for my first (and probably last) wreath, no?)...

16" grape vine wreath - $3.99 at JoAnn's;
4 packages plastic white eggs - $0.77 per package of 12 at Hobby Lobby;
a can of white primer spray and a can of Robin's Egg spray - these are your most expensive items, but if you use JoAnn's 50% coupons, you'll only pay about $3.00 per spray can;
small amount of acrylic brown paint and an old toothbrush to create speckles; 
a package of moss;
a butter-cup "bouquet";
LOTS of hot glue sticks, hot glue gun, rubber gloves, scissors;
feathers (optional);
jute cord for easy hanging (optional).

first, separate your plastic eggs and lay them out on a newspaper (after priming and painting eggs, they easily snap back together).  prime, spray paint and speckle allowing to dry after each step.  to create speckles dip an old toothbrush in acrylic brown paint and run your finger (don't forget to use rubber gloves) across the toothbrush bristles.


next, i hot-glued moss to my grape vine wreath in small random patches:

using hot glue attach eggs, butter-cups and feathers randomly. 
p.s.
for my primer i used  Rust-Oleum American Accents Primer spray.
for spray paint i was experimenting with two kinds: Design Master Robin's Egg and Krylon's Blue Ocean Breeze.  Krylon is easier to use, however Robin's Egg was the exact color i was looking for. 


p.p.s.
if you decide to double coat, you may need two cans of spray paint.

enjoy!

9 comments:

  1. I love the color of those eggs! Very nice and looks store bought. I won't even tell you how amazing you are because you already know :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very nice job! And I like the wreath! Why would you say it's probably your last one...?!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this, am going to give it a go this Easter! Nicole

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! I've never seen an Easter wreath before... this is so fitting!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is so pretty!!
    craft-interrupted.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thank you for your detailed shopping list. Can't tell you how that helps an organized-challenge person such as myself. You did a great job. I love making wreaths but am caught up with finishing charity quilts due in May. But your instructions were very good (and organized)& have inspired me to hopefully start making a wreath. Thank you for sharing this.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You're welcome, GG! I'm glad to have inspired someone. Home decorating is not my thing, but I did enjoy making my first wreath!

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...