Pages

Saturday, February 5, 2011

DIY: red sparkle heart tee


EDIT: PLEASE SEE MY NEW POST HERE FOR BETTER GLITTER PRODUCT FOR THIS PROJECT.
i could not resist the temptation to DIY this sparkle heart tee after seeing a photo with Taylor Swift in February issue of InStyle magazine.  i don't care about the celebrity factor of course; but simply thought my daughter would love to have a similar shirt.  Taylor Swift's shirt is from Wildfox Couture ($108). 


photos from wildfoxcouture.com
you will need:
white or black 100% cotton tee (Walmart, Target $3-$6)
one tub of dry red glitter (Walmart or any craft store)
textile medium (from any craft store)
1/2" wide flat brush
wax paper
masking tape (not pictured below)
iron, pencil and plastic placemat (or a piece of cardboard)

pictured: wax paper, textile medium in a bowl, brush, textile medium container, dry glitter


i made Nina two heart shirts: one black and the other white.  our black shirt came from Target, and the white one came from Walmart.
i use children's plastic placemat to protect to shirt but you can also use a piece of cardboard.  just slide it inside the shirt.  with a pencil i drew a large heart shape directly onto the shirt.
next, i used small pieces of masking tape to outline the shape:


apply textile medium to the heart and smooth it over with a brush:

while textile medium is still wet, sprinkle glitter all over the heart shape and gently pat the area (confession: i used too much glitter; be generous but don't over do it):


let it dry for 4-6 hours.  remove masking tape.  apply another layer of textile medium to seal the glitter:

once again let it dry for 4-6 hours or overnight.
finally, after all is dry cover the area with wax paper and heat set with hot iron (i use hottest setting).  by heat set i mean place an iron over wax paper for about 10 sec.  repeating the process several times to make sure you covered the whole area.

and... here it is!

i paint shirts for children and sell them in my Etsy store (this is not for sale since i'm not sure how it would hold after wash).  so, i had all the supplies on hand (except glitter from Walmart for under $3).  if you prefer something much easier just buy iron-on heart rhinestones (also from Walmart for $1.97).  it's super easy and super cute:
iron-on rhinestones by Next Style from Walmart ($1.97)

EDIT: PLEASE SEE MY NEW POST HERE FOR BETTER GLITTER PRODUCT FOR THIS PROJECT.

20 comments:

  1. Cute! Perfect for Valentine's Day festivities :) x

    ReplyDelete
  2. Cute! I may have to do something like this with a skateboard design or something for my boys.

    Come check out my 30! Jen Hemming and Hawing Again

    ReplyDelete
  3. She looks so cute in her new shirt. What a great project.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your daughter is so cute, I coudn´t look at anything else hehehhe. Fantastic DIY, fantastic you.
    keep it up.
    have a wonderful weekend.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your daughter is so gorgeous Maya! Love the DIY, let me know how it washes etc as I'd love to do something like this

    ReplyDelete
  6. that is adorable. what a nice valentine's idea!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adorable! And what a lovely model to boot! I just added "plain tee" to my thrifting list so I can do this DIY. Speaking of, I had no luck looking for shoes this weekend either :(

    ReplyDelete
  8. This is super cute! I just might have to try this...is the shirt heavy after?

    My ring is from asos. It's on sale right now!

    Rockoomph.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is very fascinating, You are a very professional blogger.
    I've joined your rss feed and look forward to in search of more of your great post. Additionally, I have shared your website in my social networks

    Visit my page - www.youtube.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hurrah! In the end I got a blog from where I know how to truly get useful information regarding my study and knowledge.



    Also visit my webpage; Sushi Orlando

    ReplyDelete
  11. Excellent pieces. Keep posting such kind of information on your site.
    Im really impressed by your blog.
    Hey there, You have performed a great job. I will certainly digg it
    and for my part recommend to my friends. I'm confident they'll be benefited from this site.



    my webpage; certified registered nurse anesthetist

    ReplyDelete
  12. What's up i am kavin, its my first time to commenting anywhere, when i read this piece of writing i thought i could also make comment due to this sensible post.

    Review my site - Orlando Sushi Restaurant

    ReplyDelete
  13. Spot on with this write-up, I really believe this website needs much more attention.
    I'll probably be back again to read more, thanks for the advice!

    My webpage :: neck strain heat or ice

    ReplyDelete
  14. Excellent beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend your website, how could i subscribe for
    a blog website? The account helped me a acceptable deal.
    I had been a little bit acquainted of this your broadcast offered
    bright clear concept

    Take a look at my web site - Sushi PLace

    ReplyDelete
  15. An intriguing discussion is worth comment. There's no doubt that that you need to publish more about this subject, it may not be a taboo subject but generally folks don't discuss these issues.

    To the next! Best wishes!!

    Also visit my page - Graduate Quarterly

    ReplyDelete
  16. Awesome blog! Do you have any tips for aspiring writers?
    I'm planning to start my own blog soon but I'm a little
    lost on everything. Would you advise starting with a free platform like Wordpress or go for a paid option?
    There are so many options out there that I'm completely confused .. Any suggestions? Thank you!

    Feel free to visit my weblog: foofara.com

    ReplyDelete
  17. Hey! I know this is somewhat off-topic but I had to ask.
    Does managing a well-established website such as yours require
    a massive amount work? I'm completely new to running a blog but I do write in my journal daily. I'd like to start a
    blog so I can easily share my personal experience and thoughts online.
    Please let me know if you have any kind of suggestions or tips for new aspiring bloggers.

    Thankyou!

    Here is my blog ... callaway golf outlet locations

    ReplyDelete
  18. Greate post. Keep posting such kind of information on your
    blog. Im really impressed by your blog.
    Hello there, You have performed a fantastic job. I will definitely digg it and in my view recommend to my friends.

    I'm sure they'll be benefited from this website.

    Take a look at my blog post; short Game instruction

    ReplyDelete
  19. It's the best time to make some plans for the longer term and it's time to be happy.
    I have read this put up and if I may I desire to suggest you
    few fascinating issues or tips. Maybe you could write subsequent articles
    regarding this article. I want to read more things approximately it!


    My page ... garners florist in greensboro nc

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...