Pages

Monday, February 21, 2011

DIY: pauper's rose gold




rose gold (also known as Russian Gold) is simply a gold and copper alloy.  honestly, in the old country i disliked rose gold.  however, now just like many other things i used to dislike (such as glitter nails LOL), rose gold seems beautiful to me for the first time...

to make a "rose gold" cuff you will need:


silver cuff and an oval stone from JoAnn's (both Dazzling Geodes by Plaid)
Krylon Metallic spray paint in copper (JoAnn's, Walmart)
E-6000 glue (JoAnn's or any craft store)
plastic or paper cup for holding the cuff in place
optional: two small beads for decorating the stone (not pictured; i had some spare beads i could use)

i used an empty coffee can to create my work area;  you can use old newspaper

spray the cuff (preferably outside and away from other objects) following directions on the spray can.
drying time is 10-15 minutes but allow about two hours before handling.
next, i glued the oval stone to the cuff using E-6000 glue.
i also, spray painted two small beads and glued them to the stone.




the silver knuckle ring (below) came from Kohl's.  i loved everything about it except it was too sparkly for me.  i spray painted the ring immediately wiping it with paper towel.
knuckle ring - Kohl's

same ring after spray painting


as i was working on this project, i remembered seeing similar DIY on Angelia's blog Superheros and Stilettos last year.  see her beautiful Vintage Brooch Ribbon Necklace here.


very small and light Panasonic Lumix

i'm loving my new camera from amazon.com.  it's Panasonic's Lumix DMC-FH20 for $134.95.  the card from my old camera worked for this new one (yeah!).  also, purchased Joby magnetic flexible tripod from the same place.  it is very strong and can attach to the refrigerator doors, fence poles, basketball poles, garage doors etc.  i first saw this tripod on ThriftyMomma's post Alien Alert!,  who got the idea from Curvy Everyday, who got the idea who knows where? ;)



17 comments:

  1. Love that color, they turned out great!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love that color! And, what a great item to create! That oval stone is marvelous! Hope you're doing well!
    Come check out my 30! Jen Hemming and Hawing Again

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love this! You have inspired me to maybe give it a try!! They turned out beautiful...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your craftiness amazes me. And that tripod is a very good idea! Hugs from Mexico. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I want the tripod!! :) And your cuff and ring are beautiful!! I would have never thought to sprat pait jewelry! Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  6. i never was a rose gold fan either, but i really love this DIY...i mean you could literally use any color?! and the tripod is fantastic!!

    rockoomph.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. What a fantastic DIY. I have been missing you a lot my dear Maya.
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love both your pieces, the rose gold is so interesting and the ring very elegant, very clever!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Congrats on the new camera and the tripod. I have a similar tripod for my small camera but it is not magnetic. I love the bracelet and the spray painted ring. What a great idea. So funny as I have done thousands of DIY project with furniture and house decor I have never tried small personal items as projects. One of these days I will.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great DIY--I'm definitely going to have to try it! Also, what a nifty tripod!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Another great DIY! The tripod is an excellent idea too x

    ReplyDelete
  12. Amazing! It really resembles rose gold!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I absolutely love this DIY!! Both the cuff and ring look so amazing!!

    Natasha ~ Required2BeInspired

    ReplyDelete
  14. I love the cuff - it looks expensive and adds a lot of interest to the wrist. Looks like I need to start taking better advantage of the spray paint aisle...
    -Teresa
    TeresaDoesIt.com

    ReplyDelete
  15. Nice bracelet. I had no idea JoAnns sold geodes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I love that colour! - 'rose gold'. I've always loved everything copper. I think growing up we called it 'pink gold'. A friend had an engagement ring - which friend was it now? - that was three golds: white, gold, and pink.

    Just came to say a quick hi and thanks for the comment and to say please don't touch your grandmother's blanket!! That skirt was just done as a temporary thing. You can just wrap the blanket and hold it together with a belt like Sandra did, maybe a few safety pins - no point in ruining the blanket. It's just a quick temporary thing.

    Like what some girls are doing with a shirt as a skirt. Not permanent!

    xox

    ReplyDelete
  17. This is really awesome work i love it thanks . colors are great.

    garage doors

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...