Pages

Saturday, December 11, 2010

DIY: fur clutch

Michael Kors fur clutch (picture from become gorgeous)



Chanel fur purse (picture from becomegorgeous)

what you will need:
guinea pig clutch (mine is burgundy and has an interesting detail in front, pretty plain in the back - Goodwill $2.99)
faux fur (i used two 9x12" precut craft fur from Hobby Lobby- $2.99 each)
chain (optional) from any craft store (mine came from JoAnns and is leftover from my belt DIY)
scissors, hot glue, needle and thread



my clutch measured 10.75x7x1.75".
cut craft fur pieces in half lengthwise (i started with two 9x12" pieces) to get four long strips (i only used three of these long pieces).


i hand stitched three long strips together (even if i had a sewing machine i would not know what to do with it). 


fold above pictured  piece and stitch edges to make a "pocket" as shown below:


slide your clutch into the above mentioned "pocket":


cut an opening for closure and hot glue fur to the outside of your purse/clutch:
the step in the picture above is optional: i hot glued golden chain to the purse.  on the back side i only hot glued fur in the middle so i now have two little pockets there.


and VOILA!  my "new" fur clutch/purse.  will show tomorrow how i wore it.


12/12/10 Edit:
the day after i posted this i discovered this stylish blogger from Kentucky (we're practically next door neighbors)  Sara of shortofsomething blog and her fabulous faux fur clutch DIY.  Please check it out!  love little bow detail on her creation.  isn't it adorable?!

short of something blog

22 comments:

  1. That's great idea! and those specialty bags like fur bags are so outrageously priced. I bet you could sell those on Etsy! Like I said before I love your DIY posts:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. That is awesome! God, I wish I was crafty like this and had the vision to do it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am speechless. This is by far your best DIY.Chanel eat your heart out.
    Sooooooooooooooo wonderful. I must try yeahhhhhhhhhh. You are a real inspiration.
    Guapa!!!
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  4. So adorable!! You come up with the best ideas!!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. wow!!!amazing DYI!!It looks sooo good!!!xxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes !!! this DIY is so smart and funny, congrats !
    http://selenite.weebly.com/

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great minds think alike! I really like the juxtaposition of the fur and the leather.

    ReplyDelete
  8. ummm, you are making all us other moms look bad. Another fantastic DIY.
    You should consider etsy! Can't wait to see the outfit.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree with CurvyEveryday! Talk about Bye Bye Soccer mom HELLO Clever lady!
    Love your posts

    ReplyDelete
  10. I saw a furry bag at Marshall's yesterday that was $400, can you believe that? Marshalls?

    This one is perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You do fantastic DIYs! I've also just looked at the zipper shoes, after reading about them on Jill's blog. You really prove how easy it is to emulate favourite high fashion looks or pieces - and you have a one off too! I'll be interested to see how this bag could be styled...

    ReplyDelete
  12. That is adorable!
    You are so creative in your way of thinking
    Love this idea and will try it soon

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love this! I've been meaning to try to be some DIY with faux fur but I've heard that it's difficult to use because it falls apart. Did you have that problem?
    Thanks!

    -Charlotte
    allesmode2010.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hi Blythe and Charlotte,
    I just emailed you to say that no, I did not have that problem. It was kind of messy with fur all over, but really can't say it was falling apart and was hard to sew together. Do you think it's the case if you use sewing machine? I would have no idea as I just hand-stitched...
    Please let me know if you make something.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I LOVE it!! You seriously have some amazing DIYs!! I wish there was more time in the day for me to make them all!!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Love it. Great project. Good use of Goodwill.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my goodness - this is absolutely gorgeous! It looks so luxurious. You did a fabulous job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. That second snow picture is lovely. I always want to run outside and take pictures in the snow but me and the cold don't go well together.

    ReplyDelete
  19. cool project results! I'm gathering DIY fur clutch inspiration. I loooove that MK one! :)

    <3Meghan

    ReplyDelete
  20. The immense majority of executive chairss hail
    with of Eight-spot reps on each face, and so lead a transgress and
    do another set. The other key divergence with render
    puff but they are not very breathable.

    my web-site ... executive chairs

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...