Pages

Tuesday, November 2, 2010

treat! (pumpkin muffins, pumpkin cheesecake and persimmons)

every year in the Fall (for several years now) i fix my family pumpkin muffins (friend's recipe).  that is except last year!!!  did you experience shortage of canned pumpkins in your area????  i thought i was going nuts for not being able to find one single can until i heard on TV we had terrible pumpkin crop last year due to the weather.  i heard people were selling canned pumpkins on eBay for about $20/can.  thankfully, this year we are back on track and it feels normal again.
so, yesterday i made my family pumpkin muffins (for the third time this season, we have to make up for last year!) and decided to share with you. 


1 15oz canned pumpkin
3 cups sugar
1 cup corn oil
5 eggs
place the above ingredients in a large bowl and blend well with mixer.  every time i bake something with lots of eggs i add 1 tsp vanilla to help get rid of egg taste.  i even add vanilla to my pancake batter.

add
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp pumpkin spice
2 tsp cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
blend well

add
3 1/3 cups all-purpose flour (or 3 cups whole wheat flour)
and finally add
2/3 cup water and blend.

place in muffin cups (this recipe makes 24 regular muffins, so sometimes i half the recipe) and bake at 350 F until toothpick can be inserted and comes out clean.  20-25 min.





enjoy!  my whole family loves these muffins!  and it's a perfect treat to send to your child's school for their Fall celebration party!

around this time of the year i also make "the cheesecake factory pumpkin cheesecake".  its ingredients are on my next shopping list!  click here if you'd like the recipe.


i have one more treat for you.  persimmons!  have you ever tried?  i grew up eating persimmons, giant green figs, small purple figs and sweet juicy pomegranates all the time!  these are the fruits that i really miss.  though they are sold in the U.S. it's just not the same!
my parents are back from the country of Georgia and brought back persimmons.  i am pretty sure it is illegal to bring food or plants to the U.S.  mmm, forbidden fruit, smuggled across the ocean....  makes it taste even sweeter!!!

persimmons from the country of Georgia photographed by yours truly

wikipedia photo


yesterday i also painted my kids new shirts and made Nina hot pink and orange bow with covered button -not bragging on myself or anything ;)  i sell similar design childrens shirts on my Etsy if you're interested.

Cordell's shirt - DIY
Cordell's pilgrim turkey shirt above, not sure if he'd wear it...  my babies are growing up too fast!

Nina's shirt and her bow - all DIY

 i am now addicted to that metallic gold nail polish by SH in the picture above.  and yes, i wear my husband's ugly sweatshirt at home when i paint!

7 comments:

  1. mmmmmmm...In my city we have the pumpkin party (we called it "Festa do Cabazo") one of my friends works on it, I have to tell her about those muffins xxxx

    La Madrina

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thank you soooooooooooo much for the delicious recipes.
    I check the blog you told me , and yes, you are right, she has a very similae haircut. Small world, wowww!!!
    I will check your etsy shop.
    Un abrazo my dear friend
    XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. And you think I do a lot?! WOW! You are all ready for Thanksgiving! Those shirts look fantastic.
    I will be trying your pumpkin muffin recipe with my leftover puree :) I'm glad to hear you like roasted pumpkin too - people think it's weird that I eat it! I also love persimmons.

    Thanks so much for the well wishes on my race! You are so sweet!

    ReplyDelete
  4. oh, this is a yummy post. i do recall a canned pumpkin issue in the states this past summer when i needed it for something. who would have thought?! anyway, your muffin recipe looks tasty, and i must try that soon.
    hey, i sent you an email...but forgive me, i'd forgotten your actual name- which i now remember. :)
    xo

    ReplyDelete
  5. They look yummy. I might give it a try when it actually feels more like fall here. The shirts and the bow looks great. Very crafty I must say on your part. I have never tried persimmons although I also grew up eating the other fruits you mentioned. You can never find good figs here. Not sure why.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those muffins look delicious, it's only that I don't like pumpkin.

    The bow is sooooo cute.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hey, persimmons! Glad somebody appreciates them. (I got most of the box from Florida because nobody else knew what they wer - thought they were small hard tomatoes.)

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...